The town of Laško is an administrative, economic and cultural centre by the Savinja river between the Celje basin and the valley of the Sava river. It lies between peaks Hum and Šmihel.
Laško and its immediate surroundings were settled already in the period of the Urnfield culture (around 800 B.C.). It was first mentioned as a settlement in 1147, and as a borough and the headquarters of the provincial court in 1227. The oldest findings from the urnfield under the Stari grad (Old Castle) are from the iron age, while findings in the surroundings are from the end of the bronze age. In Roman times Laško became an important spa town. The name Laško was given after the native inhabitants: the Vlachs and the Lachs.
In the Middle Ages, when it became a borough with the provincial court and the headquarters of the older prehistoric parishes, the town of Laško was flourishing. Laško was ruled by the Counts of Celje and then by the Habsburgs and other dukes for almost a century.
By discovering again the thermal springs in the fifties of the past century Laško became renowned throughout Europe. Today Laško is best known for its spa and brewery which contributes greatly to the renovation of the town. Laško can thus pride itself with the first illuminated church in Slovenia, and many other renovated sacred buildings.