Beginnings of beer brewing in Laško
Laško is a beer with tradition. We have been brewing it for more than 185 years.
The historical beginnings of Pivovarna Laško reach back to 1825, when the mead and gingerbread maker Franz Geyer set up a brewery in the former Valvasor Hospital (now the location of the Savinja Hotel), where he probably brewed stone beer (Steinbier), then known in the Koroška region, for thirteen years. However, it is still not known if he knew how to brew the technologically more demanding Bavarian beer.
The Laško beer became truly famous when the brewery was bought by Heinrich August Uhlich in 1838. He offered his beer to foreign guests at the Rimske Toplice thermal spas, which he owned, and exported it to Trieste. His beer was available also in Alexandria and Calcutta.
In 1867, Anton Larisch, the next brewery owner, constructs a new brewery along the foothills of Sv. Kristof and Šmihel, the largest brewery of the time on Spodnje Štajersko. He alone supervised and improved the beer quality, and increased the brewery capacity.